Sunday, January 28, 2007

Psalms Sunday #4


Psalm 4



1Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.
2O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah.
3But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.
4Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
5Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.
6There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.
7Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.
8I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.



In verse two, David asks the question: "How long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing"? The word leasing stuck out to me as it is not often used outside of real estate, so I looked up the word at dictionary.com and saw that it also means a lie; a falsehood. As a counselor (not professionally, but one of my spiritual gifts), I often tell my "clients" that they need to "live in the truth". It seems as though David has the same philosophy of thinking.


I also like verse 5 which seems to be a forshadowing of sort of the cross and beyond. Daily animal sacrifices were still very much a part of every day life, but here David is suggesting that we "Offer the sacrifices of righteousness" and put our trust in the Lord.

May God bless you richly and you continue to put your trust in Him.

For more comments on Psalm 4, visit Butterflykiss21.

1 comment:

  1. Ya know, I didn't even pause much to consider verse 2. Thank you for pointing it out to me. Oh, how the world today is so wrapped up in that word, vanity. If only we looked to our God more than we looked onto ourselves and material things, how perfectly peaceful and happy our lives would be. Thank you for posting this week. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda