Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Death of a Classmate

I received word today that one of my high school classmates died. I did not know him well, but his face immediately came to mind when I read his name. I went to my yearbook and sure enough it was him. The article does not say much about his death other than the day that he died and that he died at the hospital. He was given a military burial so I'm assuming that at some point he enlisted.

We had Physics and a couple of math classes together. According to my yearbook, he was in a club known as the Forensics club. Of course crime was the first thing that came to my mind when I read that, but evidently he was known for his speaking abilities and was recognized as Best Speaker at Senior Honors Night.

It's been more than 16 1/2 years since I've seen him, but the memory of him still lingers in my mind.

His death has made me think of the impact we all have on the people around us-even those who do not know us well. I am reminded of a statement made a while ago by Charles Barkley the famous basketball player- "I am not a role model". What an absurd statement. If you live where someone else can watch what you do, then you are indeed a role model. The Scriptures so eloquently state "Even a child is known by his doing, whether his work be pure or whether it be right. (Proverbs 20:11)

With that said I will leave you with this thought: What do your doings say about you? Are you living the life that you want others to remember you by?

Is the face that I see in the mirror the one I want others to see?
Do I show in the way that I walk in my life, the love that You've given to me?
My heart's desire is to be like You in all that do all I am.

Chorus:
Do they see Jesus is me?
Do they recognize Your face?
Do I communicate Your love and Your grace?
Do I reflect who You are in the way I choose to be?
Do they see Jesus, Jesus in me?

It's amazing that you'd ever use me But use me the way You will
Help me to hold out a heart of compassionate grace A heart that You're spirit fills
May I show forgiveness and mercy The same way You've shown it to me

Chorus

Now I want to show all the world who You are
The reason I live and breathe
So You'll be the One that they see When they see me

Chorus

Lyrics by Joy Williams

2 comments:

  1. It is strange to have someone you know pass away at such a young age. It feels like yesterday to you, I'm sure, that you were in school with him. I'll pray for his family.


    I left a comment on your 100 list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becca,

    It does seem like just yesterday I was marching across the stage for high school graduation. Thanks for the prayers for his family and for commenting on my 100 post!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda