Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Where Were You on 11/04/2008?

I sat on the phone with my Mom just before President Elect Obama gave his speech. We talked about significant dates in history. Dates that if you were alive to witness, you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing. Dates like the day Kennedy and MLK were assassinated, the day man walked on the moon, the day the Challenger blew up and of course 9/11.

Where were you when the news came that America had elected its first Black President? I used to wish that I was alive when Martin Luther King, Jr lived, to witness his great speeches. Never in a million years did I think I would be alive to hear the words of the first Black President.

I pray that no matter where you were and that no matter where you are right now, that you will pray for our new leader; pray for this country. Pray for each other. No one person can change America. We must all accept the challenge of being responsible for each other, and for those of you who are Christians, may we spread the love of Christ as never before.

I believe that change is coming, and not because Barack Obama will be the next president, but because Americans realize that they have choices and that choices really do matter.

May we choose to love one another. May we choose to be our brother's keeper. And when all is said is done may we choose to live a life that is pleasing in God's sight.

2 comments:

  1. I was at home watching TV when the hubby called me into the living room to announce this fantastic news.
    As our teenager and Obama said "I'm a mutt".
    Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was away from home at my in-laws in CT. We all sat around and watched the speeches and much like you, talked about this big event in Am. history. Wonderful thought-provoking post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda