Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why I Left Bible Bowl Part II


The more and more I studied for Bible Bowl, I came across verses like "Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another" Romans 12:10,
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Phillipians 2:3

What I learned is that God's methods not only do not include strife, but the very principles of His government are against it. I had to ask myself the question, "Why do I need an incentive of winning to study God's word. It is not enough that I have been commanded to study to show myself approve or that God promises that I will find Him when I search for Him with all my heart?

I left Bible Bowl because as God began to reveal Himself to me, the model of the game did not fit His character and how can two walk together except they be agreed? I left because God called me out to study to find Him, to study to be changed into His likeness, to study to fill my mind with the things of Him.

I thank God that every day with Him is sweeter than the day before.

4 comments:

  1. It is awesome how His Word transforms us, even incidentally. I agree with your assessment that competition should not be the goal of study, but drawing closer to Him.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love most is that I have literally lost the desire for old things. I can't take any credit for it happening. I'm not even sure how it happens!

    One thing I do know is that when Christ comes into our life, the former things are passed away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that I thought of your blog today and read this. I haven't read part 1 yet, but this part 2 is very powerful and deep.

    Having been a part of Bible Bowl, I never thought of anything like this. I am glad that you did.

    Very good point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Momma's Sunshine. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda