Sunday, October 7, 2007

Vegan Cornbread

For the past couple of years I have been moving towards veganism (no animal products). Some days it's easy and some days it's not. One of the hardest things to give up has been eggs. Not scrambled or deviled, but recipes that use eggs such as cornbread. Certainly no one in their right mind would expect me to give up cornbread! :-)

At any rate, I found a recipe that I tried today and to my surpise it is delicious! And just to shed a little light on my skepticism, I've had this recipe for more than 5 years. I have been missing out!

Don't let the ingredients scare you. It really is good.

Vegan Cornbread:
1 3/4 cornmeal
1 cup oats
1 cup ground cashews (raw, unsalted cashews)
1 TBSP sea salt
2 cups soy milk ( I used enough milk to make it moist. Probably closer to 3 cups)
1/3 cup maple syryp
dash of coriander

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix all ingredients together and stir. Pour batter into an oiled shallow baking dish and bake 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. ( I used my cast iron skillet).

Servings:12
Calories:133
Fat: 2.7 grams
Sodium: 141 milligrams

Voila, good ole southern style cornbread. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda