Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sharing a Devotional Thought

The other day I was talking to a friend and sharing a devotional thought that I had. Some time ago I was watching a show called Making the Band. For those of you who know me well, you know that the fact that I was even watching television is amazing all in itself. :-). At any rate, in this show, young women and men alike are trying to make it big and have a career with P.Diddy also known as Puff Daddy or Sean Combs. For those of you who are not familiar with him, he is a well known rapper and hip-hop icon.

In the particular show that I watched, there were females who were trying out to be dancers with P.Diddy and possibly form a new girl's group. During the tryouts, there were two girls that were dancing in the back, really trying not to be seen. This upset P. Diddy tremendously as he is looking for girls who "want to be in the spotlight" and want to make it big. He immediately dismissed them from the stage.

All throughout the show there were harsh comments, girls were ridiculed and called all sorts of names. And everytime they would come back and try harder to "make it". By now I'm sure you're wondering why I sat and watched this show and so I will share with you what I learned.

As I sat and watched I was reminded of a verse in I Corinthians 9:25 Where Paul says

"And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible."

I was in awe as I watched these girls withstand ridicule and all sorts of demeaning comments. They wanted so badly to dance on stage with P.Diddy that there wasn't much they wouldn't do or take and all for what? A life of glamour?

So then how much more willing should we be to withstand ridicule for an incorruptible crown? I want to encourage you today that whatever fire you may be going through, God has promised that if you trust Him, He will be there with you in the midst of it to cool the flames. (Daniel 3:27). So take up your cross and bear it and be assured that in the end all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda