Tuesday, February 5, 2008

New Hobby-Knitting

I was reading someone's blog and saw a reference to a knitting site that teaches you how to knit. My daughter had asked me how to knit. I have never knitted anything or seen anyone knit anything for that matter, but I learned how to crochet from a video in 1997-the year my daughter was born.

So I figured well how hard can it be, right? I found out that two ladies at my church know how to knit (one learned in the 5th grade and still remebers) and were gracious enough to show my daughter and me some of the basics. The knitting video actually helped me more than the live instruction. I'm guessing because I could keep rewinding and I didn't have to keep asking someone to "do it over, please". :-)

Here is what I have been working on. I'm learning all the stitches.

My daughter wants to make a scarf. We haven't started any projects yet as we are still learning the basics. We have pretty much mastered the Cast-On and knit stitch. I'm still working on the purl stitch. My last row and a half is what I have done of that so far. I have a ton of ideas of things I would like to make...
Do you knit? If so, please share what you are working on and how you learned.

3 comments:

  1. hi it's me again. I first taught myself to nit 3 years ago. I made a couple of hats, some cloth diaper covers and a blanket for a friends new baby. Then I got tired of it. So last year I taught myself to crochet and that I love. Last christmas I made 3 blankets one for each child. I prefer to crochet because it is faster. I don't have much love for the process, it's the out come that excites me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama,

    I would love to see some of the things that you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned to knit as a girl. My mom handed me one of those woman's magazines from the 70's that had the directions with pictures. I still knit on occasion, but ventured out into other craft venues. Keep up the hard work. You look like your doing wonderfully. Once you get the hang of it you'll be knitting up a storm, first a scarf, than a baby blanket, next an afghan and then a whole wardrobe. It can get addicting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda