Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Homeschooling Declared Illegal in California

A California appeals court held recently that parents have no constitutional right to home school their children, and that only parents who possess state teaching credentials are eligible to teach at home.

I must say that I am in shock. Of all the states in the country, I never would have guessed that California would be one to have such a ruling.

What gets me though is that homeschoolers continue to outperfom school students on all standardized testing and are outperforming them in college as well. Makes you wonder what evidence they used.

I can't imagine that Texas will be next seeing as we have no laws at all for homeschooling other than homeschoolers are considered private schools, but I guess you never can tell.

I'll be doing some research on the requirements for teaching credentials.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I were discussing this a few days ago. I'll have to research this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rona, please let me know what you find. I'm sure there will be lots of appeals.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda