Monday, October 13, 2008

Too Cute

Last night as I was working, a student logged in wanting to do a lesson on vocabulary words. We came to the word literary and we discussed its meaning and how it directly relates to literature. My student apparently confused, says, "Oh, I thought it meant actually happening".

I, now confused, ask him to use it in a sentence. "Ummm, the book was so heavy that it would literary crush my hand if I dropped it." I responded and said, "The word you are thinking of is, literally.

What tickled me so about this is I too (coming from a Southern family) often said words wrong growing up. My grandmother used to pick these grape looking things and she always called them "Scuffanums". I was in the 11th or 12th grade reading a book for class when I came across the word scuppernongs and realized that is what she had been trying to say all along! Gotta love those Southern drawls and accents.

2 comments:

  1. *giggles* I know, right? One of my family's runnin' jokes is the word, ambulance. The way some of my cousins say it is, ambalamps. I am so seriuos. (And we are all grown).

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda