Thursday, May 5, 2011

Our Daily Schedule

A friend of mine asked me about our daily schedule and so I decided I would write a blog post about it.

We keep this schedule (or the routine of the schedule) 95% of the time. I have learned to be flexible and so we adapt when necessary.

6:00 am Mom's quiet time with God

7:00 am Children rise and complete morning routine, Mom's morning routine and breakfast prep

8:00 am Family Worship, Breakfast and Breakfast Clean-up

9:00 Morning walk or other exercise

10:00 School

12:30 Dinner Prep

1:00 Dinner, Kitchen Clean-Up, Afternoon house pick-up

2:00 Room Organization time (Because we are moving)

3:00 Quiet Time (Don't call my name and I won't call yours!) :-)

4:00 Craft Time (Knitting, Crocheting, sewing, etc...)

6:00 Supper or Light snack then cleanup

7:00 Family Worship

7:30 Bath Time, then Bed

A few notes about the schedule. I am not a schedule type of person. I have time restrictions and I really struggled to come up with one. The more time I spent with God, the more He impressed me to be accountable with my time and to teach my children to do the same.

In the morning the children must have their routine completed before coming to the breakfast table. Our philosophy is that the man who does not work, does not eat (II Thess 3:10).

I often get the question of how can we finish school in 2 1/2 hours. This block is mainly for what I need to teach or go over with the kids. Most of their work is done independently after I give assignments and so a lot of time I may be doing something else during this time. Also we do not do every subject every day. We use the Unit Study method of learning and may spend a week on history, a week on science, etc. We generally 2 Bible plus 2 subjects a day.

For our meals, we eat our heaviest meal for Breakfast and we eat at 5 hour intervals with no snacking in between. This has worked wonders for us. When we snacked, my kids had little to no appetite at meal time and always wanted a snack. This encouraged us to eat junk as most kids to not associate anything healthy with "snack food". Not eating between meals means that my kids are hungry when it's time to eat and they eat well. We drink 2 hours after eating or 15 minutes before.

Hope this helps and I would love to see the schedules of others. May God be with you as you seek to use even your time for His honor and glory.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy seeing the schedules of others! I'm a planner, but also don't follow our routine rigidly -- trying to leave room for flexibility. Having a rhythm and routine has been tremendously helpful in keeping focus on what is important...and making sure it is taking place.

    Thanks for sharing. Grace to you...

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda