Sunday, December 16, 2012

Wake-up Call

As I write today, I am saddened at the news of the tragedy in Connecticut. I can't remember the last time I cried like this.  I was saddened when the news of Columbine hit, when I heard the news of the VA Tech shooting, the news of the movie theater shooting and so forth, but I can't remember being as deeply moved as I was this time. 

My first thought was what kind of sick individual could do such a thing? I thought of the parents who sent their babies off to school only to never see them again.  Perhaps one parent didn't say I love you because they were rushing or just had other things on their mind that moment.  Just the thought of it makes me cry all over again.

What really shook me up the most is the thoughts that came to me as I was having my morning devotion time with God.  I'm sure most people have thoughts of hatred toward the individual who did this even with him being dead, because the natural thought toward someone who would do such is one of hatred, but God said to me "For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly."(Romans 5:6) and "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

Christ died even for the man that committed this heinous crime, and had he lived and repented, Christ's blood would cover him.  Can  you imagine that? The love of Christ is powerful enough to forgive and LOVE someone like that. It hit me like a ton of bricks that I obviously do not have that kind of love. So as I pray and grieve with the families of Connecticut, I ask God to fill my soul with a love that only He can give.  The love that I need is not to be found in any human apart from the indwelling of Christ.

It's me O Lord, standing in the need of prayer.

1 comment:

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda