Thursday, July 17, 2008

Family Worship

Every morning after breakfast we have family worship. During this time we read and discuss a few paragraphs from a spiritual book (we are currently reading Steps to Christ), sing a hymn and review our memory verses. We have several Memory verses in our box and are currently working on learning passages such as Psalm 100 and Psalm 23. It's amazing how quickly the children can commit them to memory when you are reviewing them regularly.

For evening worship, we sing a song and read from the Bible. We have not been nearly consistent in our evening worship as we have in the morning, but just today my daughter asked if we could start reading the Bible again before we go to bed. I guess that's my cue to get it together! :-)

What do traditions do you have for family worship or for meal time or before bed?

5 comments:

  1. We do the same and our evening worship could use some revamping or more commitment also. I have a worship CD and sometimes we play that in the morning also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning worship is lots of singing, usually action songs specifically for Butterbean. We're reading Friends God Gave Us right now, a nature book. After this, we'll read the Champions of Faith series I picked up at campmeeting. One of our main goals at morning worship is to teach Butterbean how to pray, it's slow going, but everyone gets excited when he does a good job.

    Evening worship is usually the Sabbath school lesson led by my husband. We've been slacking off quite a bit lately, we've got to get back on track.

    I'd even like to incorporate a time where we stop for a mid-day prayer, so that we can refocus our attitudes. Just a quick joining of hands and prayer for the remainder of the day.

    Looks like I need to go work on updating our household schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I like to use are children's books. One of our favorites is "This Bible Talks!" because we have pre-readers and it really keeps them involved.

    I love the idea of mid-day prayer to refocus...we could all use that to remind us what is important! Thanks!

    Here is the book if interested in seeing it, listening...(it is where I got my copy) http://www.thisbibletalks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kysha, I don't know what it is about that evening time. It seems to get away from you so quickly!

    Ann, it's interesting that you mention a mid-day prayer. I was just thinking about Daniel the other day and how he prayed three times. I need to revamp my schedule as well!

    Rachael,
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your resource. I will be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dinner time... We play the "lows & highs". Every person has a chance to share one "low" & one "high" for the day.
    And my hubby will ask the girls, "Tell me one thing that you learned today."
    This is always a real eye opener around here... Everyday is so unique!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.

-yolanda